First fire brigade and station building with original fire tower2

About Us

The Central Goldfields Art Gallery is located in the heart of Central Victoria - in Maryborough, Victoria. It is situated on the traditional lands of the Dja Dja Wurrung and offers respect to Elders, past, present and emerging. First opened in 1996, our Gallery is located in the historic former Fire Station building built in 1861. Featuring a diverse program of regularly changing exhibitions, including works from the permanent collection, curated exhibitions and touring exhibitions. The Gallery is owned and operated by the Central Goldfields Shire Council. The Gallery is open to the public Thursday to Sunday 10am-4pm. Free entry.

GALLERY/FIRE STATION − Historic Timeline

PrE 18ooS – CONTINUING

Dja Dja Wurrung People, the Traditional Owners of the land that on which the Gallery/Old Fire Station now stands.

First fire brigade and station building with original fire tower2

1861

Maryborough Fire Brigade (originally the “No 1 Fire Company”) was formed in 1861. The first Fire Station was simply an engine house built for a cost of £250 to house the original fire engine, “Neptune”, which transported a manually operated pump worked by two teams of eight men. It was pulled to fires by a team of four horses.

1862

A photo of the original fire bell from the old fire station bell tower in Neill Street Maryborough which is now part of the Art Gallery. Bell now resides outside the new CFA building on the Pyrenees Hwy in Maryborough Vic.

Fire Bell, cast in Sheffield by Naylor, Vickers & Co. installed in the wooden belfry. It weighed 4.5 cwt (228 kg) and was first rung on 2 May, 1862. It is now displayed at the front of the current fire station In Napier Street.

1861−1917

Thomas Casey

The first Maryborough Fire Brigade Captain was Thomas Casey (1829–1919).He served for a record 56 years.

1888

Bell tower B&W

The current fire tower was built in 1888 at a cost of £285. Following the construction of the new Town Hall, the sound of the fire bell did not carry effectively, so a higher tower was built.

Circa 1900

1907 Addition to Gallery Gallery Arched doors

Numerous additions to the fire station were made.

1981

The Fire Brigade moved to its current location on Napier Street Pyrenees Highway) in 1981.


1982

The Country Fire Authority handed back the old fire station to what was then called Maryborough City Council.

1996

Black and white photo of the facade of the old fire station which is now the Ccentral Goldfields Art Gallery taken before the 2022 redevelopment

The Old Fire Station became the home of Central Goldfields Art Gallery which was officially opened in 1996.

2013

CGAG_Fire Station Bell TowerCLIP

Restoration of the historic fire station tower was completed in June 2013 with the help of the Victorian State Government and the Central Goldfields Shire Council. The bell tower is now on the National Trust Register.

2021−2022

The Victorian State Government provided Central Goldfields Shire Council with $1.7 million to redevelop the Gallery with an additional investment of $273,000 from council. Nervegna Reed Architecture were appointed as architects on the project.  The design of the adjoining Indigenous Interpretive Garden has been led by the DJAARA (Dja Dja Wurrung Clans Aboriginal Corporation).


2023

Gallery reopened after redevelopment 4 March 2023

DSC_0789
ARTGALLERY_LOGO_K




More About Our History


Historical information about the Gallery and the Old Fire Station has been compiled with the assistance of the Maryborough Midlands Historical Society Inc. and Maryborough Fire Brigade.


OUR TEAM

Photo of Helen Kaptein, Central Goldfields Art Gallery Coordinator
Helen Kaptein
Art Gallery Coordinator

Photo of Sandy Coventry, Central Goldfields Art Gallery Marketing Officer
Sandy Coventry
Art Gallery
Marketing Officer
Megan Cardamone
Art Gallery
Operations Officer
Glenn_McGoldrick_headshotCrop3
Glenn McGoldrick
Art Gallery Technician


Gallery_Volunteers

Some members of our Gallery Volunteer team.


MEDIA

Central Goldfields Art Gallery welcomes media enquiries, interview requests and promotional requests. 

Please contact the Central Goldfields Shire Council Community Engagement team via email at media@cgoldshire.vic.gov.au

GROUP SHOW A4 POSTER_for artist talks_v07

Artist Talks: A sense of place – 10:30am Wed 5 June 2024

Art Gallery Strategic Plan cover_drop shadow

Strategic Vision for our Gallery

ANNOUNCEMENT - Large  Project - HC

Gallery Receives Award


SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER
Please provide your full name
You must provide an email address

LOCATION

Phone: (+61 3) 5461 6600

Old Fire Station
1 Neill Street Maryborough, Victoria

Opening Hours
Thursday to Sunday 10am–4pm

The Gallery will be closed on ANZAC Day and Good Friday.

FOLLOW
Accessibility Icon_final
CGSC Mono Vertical - Black Logo

INFRA4743_ARTS_CHART logo_INLINE_0721_v1

Supported by the Australian Government's Culture, Heritage and Arts Regional Tourism (CHART) program.


Website by:
Made with
Central Goldfields Art Gallery is situated on the traditional lands of the Dja Dja Wurrung and pays respect to Elders past and present and emerging.